Succession planning

A change in the management of a company represents a major turning point. An essential prerequisite for the continued existence of a company is therefore the regulation of business succession.
In Bavaria alone, around 12,000 medium-sized companies with around 100,000 jobs are affected every year. In 70% of cases, a company succession is necessary due to the retirement of the company owner. The remaining 30% are caused either by economic failure and professional reorientation of the management, or, in more than half of the crisis-related cases, by acute emergencies such as accidents, illness or death of the company owner. In 44 percent of family businesses, the existence of the company is threatened by a crisis-related succession.
Successions can be filled internally or externally. 70% of all successions are filled within the family or company. Only 12% are managed by an external manager and 13.5% of companies are bought by other companies.
The implementation requires careful and systematic preparation so that the company does not suffer any damage during the handover and the company's value does not decrease. Since this is usually a singular event in the "life" of a company, and those affected usually do not have their own experience, it makes sense to involve specialists in the preparation and support (coaching for medium-sized companies).

See also: Corporate culture; Corporate objectives; Ethics/corporate ethics; Value orientation; Corporate identity; Compliance; Code of conduct; Contract culture; Corporate governance; Honest businessman; Corporate management Reference to QET guidelines: Q13 Succession; T02 CI; T01 Guidelines

Back to blog